Forums - Cottages & Bungalows  

Go Back   Forums - Cottages & Bungalows > Curb Appeal

Old 08-05-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
chyna

Default gardening positives

Figure I should off set the gripe thread I did.

What were/are your pleasant surprises or achievements this summer in your yards?

Mine would have to be the rose bushes. I'm not one of those trim down to the ground rose owners so mine were pretty overgrown (in my defense they are mostly shrubs which you don't need to be messing with alot). I also had some climbers that my dd got me last year. I went out to clean the beds and trim out bad branches and so forth and most of them looked dead. I was really quite sad because of who got them for me and where they were planted. As you may know it is far easier to trim the canes off before digging up so I start cutting back and pulling wild morning glories and what do I see but a wee bit of green. I'm pleased and move on to the next same roller coaster. Some I was just too lazy to mess with and ignored and what do you know they came back. In the mean time my dh and dd bought me more roses for Mother's Day so yep more rose planting. I did lose one of my Joseph's Coat but it looked like it may be possible it will come back. Or would have until I dug it up. I'm plant it someplace else and if it comes back great, if not I'll yank it out next year.

I also put in a new bed on the trouble side of the front yard. I've been trying to get evergreen shrubs to grow over there and they just don't like it. I suspect the two huge evergreen trees next door are sucking all the moisture from them. Anyhow I decided to move the last remaining shrub to next to the arborvitae (which doesn't look so hot either) and since I'm sick of mowing around these things I put down landscape fabric and mulch across the entire front side. It looks so good! I also put in one of the roses, transplanted daisies and have a few potted plants on the mulch. That was a couple months ago and I gotta say that tree is looking happier. Now to cut down the iris'.

We put up window boxes or hay boxes (that is what they are called right?) and iffy on how successful they are. They do seem to dry out far quicker than I'd expect, I even used the potting soil that has the moisture release beads in it. Next year I think I'll buy some mini mulch and mulch around the plants. They look nice but when you look close up you can see where plants have died from the heat/sun.

so share ladies!
chyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
RoseMary

My only nice surprise this year was a pineapple sage plant that came up. They are usually only an annual and don't re-seed.

Mostly all of my things are dying from the heat. It doesn't matter how much I water them, the sun is really burning them. We've been covering up the rose bushes, but even they look awful. This has been one hot summer here in AR.

I like your idea of the landscape fabric and mulch, Tanya. It must be a relief for you to have that one area that doesn't take as much work to keep it looking nice. I've got several areas that I'd like to do that to.

RoseMary--"I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all". Laura Ingalls Wilder
RoseMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
vintage girl

Our garden (I should say hubs garden since I have a black thumb) is doing fantastic. Our cucumer is a foot long!!!! Tomatoes are the best they have ever been and watermelon is sweet as can be. Roses are also doing very very well. I just wish that they would last longer when I pick them. But we have so many that I pick at least a dozen or more bouquets a week. Apples are coming in wonderful and finally are a nice good size this year. Should start having the citrus any day. No gripes in the garden

eclectic, vintage, cottage, rustic, re-purposed
vintage girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
chyna

I've got fabric and mulch on the flower bed in front of the garage too and it is very nice to not have to spend hours weeding. not saying you get no weeds at all but they do come out so easily and just a fraction of them. I have some of the mulch and fabric elsewhere in the yard but hesitate to use it too much. I'd love to have nice soil and the mulch on the bare dirt should eventually amend it nicely too. I still do the grass clippings on the flower beds but it doesn't work nearly fast enough for me.
chyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
shabbychick
Super Moderator

My sweet peas have really taken off this year. They smell so wonderful when I'm outside watering. I also was successful with sunflowers. I planted lots of seeds then dug up all but four to take to school for the school garden (where they're doing beautifully). I kept four and planted them all in a row in a little rectangular planter. One has bloomed (and is huge...must be six feet tall) and the other three are getting ready to pop any moment now. Somehow a stray sweet pea got into the pot with them and it is now using them as a support and twining around them. I hope that won't kill the sunflowers. mMy hostas all came back nicely this year, too. What a great, trouble-free plant they are (though they don't look too good in the winter). My tomato that took forever to get started finally has some fruit growing. The sweet peas that were planted under it (it's hanging from the eaves in one of those topsy-turvy pots) have started intertwining with the tomato. It looks very nice, like they're in love. Hopefully they won't kill each other.

On the minus side, my lettuce has done nothing this year. Just nothing. My herbs didn't do very well, either. But at least I have beautiful flowers to look at.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #6
mac78
Super Moderator

The 10 big pots I planted are doing well. About the only thing here.