Forums - Cottages & Bungalows  

Go Back   Forums - Cottages & Bungalows > Curb Appeal

Old 04-23-2012, 03:34 AM   #1
mac78
Super Moderator

Default Looking for the pics of patio with canopy

I know quite a while back someone here posted pics of their patio space with a canopy and outdoor bed. Someone also had "curtains" on the patio. I am trying to come up with ideas and would love to see your pics again. Thank you.

Mostly I am trying to figure out how I can put up a canopy, either one I buy or try to attach myself. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
vintage girl

Hi Marie I used to have a daybed on my back patio and also curtains, but I don't think I posted pics. I loved the daybed, but no longer have it. Because of where I live, I have a horsetrail running in front of my house, so I always have dust swirling around and it was impossible to keep the daybed clean. I have a hanging swing now and still have the curtains, as I can just hose them off. I have the outdoor sunbrella curtains. I got them on sale at lowes and love them. They are attached to my patio roof and I can pull them closed for sun control if necesary. As far as a canopy, you could get a free-standing gazebo or maybe a sailcloth which you can attach between structures. Most gazebos come with either netting and/or curtains. I used to have free-standing gazebos, but we get too much wind, and they did not hold up. I found a pic of my patio the way it is now with the swing and curtains. I would love to see what you come up with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patio.jpg (4.8 KB, 11 views)

eclectic, vintage, cottage, rustic, re-purposed

Last edited by vintage girl; 05-01-2012 at 12:59 PM.
vintage girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #3
mac78
Super Moderator

I love your cozy little corner.

Ugg, right now I pry won't get to do anything. We had tile issues again with our drains. The guys spent 5 hours trying to snake thru the roots, got out about 35 feet and where the tiles T, they are broken (they think), and the roots are really really thick and won't let stuff drain thru.

14 years ago we replaced a bunch of the front tile (to the road), and now again. I am so mad. I have no idea where we will get the money to pay for this. Dave's minimum wage job doesn't even pay the bills. ugg. what next.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
vintage girl

Oh no!!! I hate bad surprises like this. Hang in there girl.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
ChapterTwo

Ooooooh, that's really nice, vintage girl! Looks like a wonderful spot to relax.

I'm sorry for the problems you've been having, Marie. Life is like that, I'm afraid...one thing after another. I used to have that root problem in my other house. Every two years I had to have them come and use that roto-rooter thingy. But your problems sounds too tough for that. Oh, boy...

Right now I've been battling ants. They've NEVER been this bad in either of my houses. I'm so disgusted. I've used every product known to man (or woman), plus my handy dandy homemade recipe ant killer, which has always worked before. It's water/sugar/borax, but I must have been a little too heavy handed on the borax, cuz some of the ants died all over my kitchen. Instead, they're supposed to make it back to the nest, give in some "food" and THEN die. So I've been cleaning up ant corpses, left and right.

Tonight I'm ashamed to say I threw out my perfectly good toaster oven, because there were ants all over it and I knew I'd never be able to cook another thing in there without thinking of the critters. Yuck.

On the bright side, part of the reason I haven't been around - I have a first grandchild, born on Tax Day, April 15th! Her name is Elizabeth and (of course) she's adorable!

I've missed you guys.
ChapterTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
mac78
Super Moderator

Congratulations on your granddaughter Chapter Two. How precious.

It must be the year for ants, because I killed about 8 black ones in my house today. I have treated all around my house 2 times now. Ugg, I hate them too. We just put out some ant traps in the house today.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
vintage girl

Congratulations on your beautiful new Grandbaby. Would love to see some pics when you have the time. I am a tax baby also. I celebrate my birthday every year by sending money to the IRS We used to have terrible problems with ants. Even got them in my freezer one year I tried everything and finally gave up and hired a montly exterminating service. I have had the service for 4 years and not one ant anywhere. Definately worth the $48 dollar per month.

I just had a friend get ants in her Keurig coffeemaker!!! Ick!!!

Old 05-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #8
ChapterTwo

Thank you, Marie and Bev, for your congrats! I will try to get a pic or two on here.

And belated birthday wishes to you, Bev...I've been so out of the loop; wasn't on here to see you on the calendar. I hope you had a very happy day.

UGH, ants in your freezer...

Well, I hate to say it, but I threw away my perfectly good toaster oven. I don't KNOW, for sure, if there were any in there, but when I picked it up there were a zillion underneath, so I'd bet money they were in there too. I'd have no desire to cook and eat anything from there. I am always so frugal, and that was so wasteful, but I couldn't help it. I have never been a fan of ants.

I think I mentioned the homemade potion I put around. Now I am still having lots of dead ants all over the place. I'm going to make a new batch of the mixture tomorrow. Wheee.

I know I won't be able to afford monthly exterminating, but I swore to myself that next year I'll have a guy come in March and April, cuz I cannot go through this again. One night I was crying, I was so upset...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
vintage girl

I would have thrown out the toaster also. Even if the ants had not gotten into it, you would have thought about them everytime you used it I hate ants and struggled for years with them. Finally found a way to add the monthly exterminating bill into our budget. We just found out that next fiscal year we are going to have to take a 20% paycut. Hubs said maybe we could give up the exterminator. I said NO WAY!!! I will give up my daily starbucks and cable. I hate ants

Old 05-07-2012, 03:44 PM   #10
ChapterTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage girl View Post
Even if the ants had not gotten into it, you would have thought about them everytime you used it
Oh, boy, you know me better than you think you do! I would have absolutely NO appetite to eat or serve anything from that anty toaster oven. And it was soooo pretty - red, to match my microwave, and I can't find another one anywhere (Emerson - had gotten it at Target. Sniff, sniff...)

Okay, seriously now, I am very sorry to hear about your projected paycut. Coast to coast, the story's the same everywhere. But I'm right with you about NOT giving up your exterminator. You HAVE your priorities!
I am going to scrape together $$ to get one next year. I must. I can't go through this again. (The only plus is that I've lost 3 lbs!) I am only seeing a few walking ants now - more carcasses to clean up tonight...

I'm with you, Bev...I hate ants