One cake mix makes approximately:
24 regular cupcakes, 48 mini-cupcakes, or 12 regular cupcakes and 24 mini cupcakes
What you will need for cupcakes:
- Assorted cupcake liners in red, white and blue
- Buttercream icing
- Pastry bag
- 1M decorating tip
What you will need for sails:
- Small craft dowels (about 5 inches long) for regular size cupcakes
- Toothpicks for mini-cupcakes
- Scrapbook paper in red, white and blue
- Baker’s twine or natural garden twine
- Regular and small-sized hole punches
- Sail template
How to Do It:
1. Bake the cupcakes according to the package directions and let cool. Place a 1M decorating tip in a piping bag and fill with buttercream icing. Pipe an icing swirl on the top of each cupcake.
2. Make a cardboard template for two sizes of sails. Cut half the sails facing one direction; then reverse the template and cut the other half. Punch two holes in each sail, one at the top and one at the bottom. Place the dowel or toothpick through the holes as shown, and tie a knot at the base with the twine. Place the sail and mast in the center of each cupcake.
Make cupcakes in a variety of sizes for a more dynamic display. Guests will appreciate the options too!