Our very first Tablescape Contest winner is on display!
A creatively styled table can set the tone for any meal at any time of the year, but there’s something especially magical about a Christmas tablescape. Sitting down to a thoughtfully prepared place setting makes everyone feel special and welcome, and makes special days even more memorable. Find inspiration from the award winning tablescape by The Spilled Sugar!
We are big fans of a gorgeous tablescape; so, in the summer of 2022, our editors put out a social media call for entries for our first ever Tablescape Contest. After hundreds of entries were narrowed down to the top 15, a community vote took place on our website, where one talented tabletop enthusiast stood out above the rest: Laura Chubineh of @thespilledsugar!
“My love for table styling stems partly from my love for dance, choreography and for telling a story. I went to college for dance and business. For years, I taught, choreographed and performed professionally. Tablescapes are like choreography for me. Instead of dancers, lights, costumes and music, I’m using flowers, plates, napkins, glassware and candles to tell a story or communicate a feeling,” Laura says.
After Laura had children and was at home more, she started creating “mini-tablescapes” for her kids for each holiday. Her friends encouraged her to create an Instagram account to show her creations, and it was then that she started focusing more on adult tables and sharing the rest of her home as well.
“I love to create a memorable, magical experience for my friends and family. I truly believe food is love—and that extends to tablescapes too. I show love to my friends and family by creating a beautiful table, meal and an experience for them they’ll remember forever.”
Seeing Red: A Second Christmas Tablescape
Along with her beautiful blue tablescape, Laura adores working with red. Here, she created two stunning ensembles using plaids and ornaments in one and roses in the other.
White Christmas Punch
What You’ll Need
- 1¼ cup tequila
- 1 cup triple sec
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup canned, full-fat coconut milk
- ¾ cup coconut cream
- ¾ cup simple syrup (see recipe below)
- 1 tspn. coconut extract
What You’ll Do
- Pour all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glasses and garnish with fresh cranberries and rosemary sprigs.
Simple Syrup Recipe
- Pour equal parts sugar and water into a saucepan over medium heat (for example, 1 cup water and 1 cup sugar). Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Allow the syrup to cool completely before using.
Laura’s Top 7 Tablescape Tips
- If possible, position your table in attractive surroundings. Try sitting at each place setting to be sure the view is pleasant for each guest.
- I always love to blend old and new—vintage and modern—elements. I also like to add a “wow factor” or some touch of sparkle or magic.
- I usually start with the centerpiece and then match my plates/settings to that. If I’m doing a large, detailed centerpiece, I keep the settings simple.
- Always layer! For this table, I layered garland over the top of a fur runner and then added light-blue wooden flowers on top of the garland. I also placed an arrangement in the center.
- Have fun layering plates too. In this case, I kept the dinner and salad plate for each place setting the same, because the centerpiece was very full and detailed. But I do love to mix different patterns of plates … as long as they complement the table’s color scheme.
- For a touch of “glam,” add metallic elements, gold candlesticks, glassware and flatware, which add interest and warmth. Rose gold and copper are other shades to try.
- Experiment with your designs by creating quick sketches on paper. In addition, find and collect ideas online via Instagram, Pinterest and blogs to keep your table styling fresh.
Looking for more holiday inspiration? You may also love Christmas Curb Appeal: A Bungalow Beauty in Boise and A Natural, Nostalgic and Nautical Christmas Cottage. Of course, don’t forget to follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest to get your daily dose of cottage inspiration!